Re: Resolving order aaaa / a with unqualified / qualified names

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 21:17 +0200, Koos van den Hout wrote:
> Today I decided to change ordering in resolv.conf so ipv6 addresses
> would be found first by placing the zone I created for ipv6 addresses first
> (next step will be to eliminate the special ipv6 zone and just put all ipv6
> adresses in the main zone so ipv4-with-natted addresses will be the special
> case and ipv6 the default).

All of the addresses in the search list are resolved in parallel and it
is likely that the IPv4 address is resolved faster than the IPv6 one, so
that gets used.

I believe what happens is that the name for the first successful
response from the search list will be used, and an AAAA response to that
name will be used in preference to an A response.

This means that because your IPv4 address responds quickly, but no AAAA
response is returned for that name, you end up connecting to the IPv4
address.

Rather than having the IPv6 and IPv4 addresses in separate domains,
wouldn't it be simpler to just add AAAA records in the first domain?
That's what I do and I seem to get the IPv6 connection every time.

andrew@hippy:~$ telnet boole
Trying 2404:130:0:1000::82:0...
Trying 192.168.2.82...

vs.

andrew@hippy:~$ telnet boole.wgtn.cat-it.co.nz
Trying 2404:130:0:1000::82:0...
Trying 192.168.2.82...

> in /etc/resolv.conf
> search tz.idefix.net koos.koffie.dot idefix.net
> the idea is to find gosper.tz.idefix.net (ipv6 only) before
> gosper.koos.koffie.dot (ipv4 only). gosper.idefix.net has both.
>
> What is causing this? Can I change this behaviour?

What are you trying to achieve by having the IPv4 only set at all?  Or
even by having the IPv6 only set?

Cheers,
					Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
Bruce Schneier can log into any computer just by staring down the prompt.