Re: Resolving order aaaa / a with unqualified / qualified names

Quoting Andrew McMillan who wrote on Fri 2007-10-26 at 08:48:

[..]

> Rather than having the IPv6 and IPv4 addresses in separate domains,
> wouldn't it be simpler to just add AAAA records in the first domain?

That is what I was going to do next. When I try that the order indeed
changes.

> > in /etc/resolv.conf
> > search tz.idefix.net koos.koffie.dot idefix.net
> > the idea is to find gosper.tz.idefix.net (ipv6 only) before
> > gosper.koos.koffie.dot (ipv4 only). gosper.idefix.net has both.
> >
> > What is causing this? Can I change this behaviour?
>
> What are you trying to achieve by having the IPv4 only set at all?  Or
> even by having the IPv6 only set?

It grew that way historically: keeping rfc1918 addresses out of public dns
and having ipv6 addresses in a separate zone. I decided today to go towards
having ipv6 preferred for everything and ipv4-legacy-nat for applications
that don't support ipv6 yet (for example nfs).

Thanks for your insights!

Time to dump the separate ipv6 zone: that does NOT help moving towards
ipv6.

                                             Koos van den Hout

--
The Virtual Bookcase, the site about books, book    | Koos van den Hout
news and reviews http://www.virtualbookcase.com/    | http://idefix.net/~koos/