Re: Help with 6to4 on a router

On 3/30/06, Marc Singer wrote:
> >   I have 6to4 setup and working (I believe reliably) for some time now
> > on my router.  Now I want my IPv4 (only capable of IPv4) machines
> > behind this router to be able to browse and use IPv6 hosts?  Is this
> > possible?  How?  Thanks.
>
> That doesn't really make sense.

Tell that to Microsoft who doesn't offer an IPv6 solution for Win2k machines.

> If the ipv4 hosts have no ipv6 capabilities, how do you expect them to
> exchange packets with ipv6 hosts?  They won't be able to do DNS
> look-ups returning ipv6 address.

Well.. The router in question currently masqs ips for these machine. I
thought maybe there would be an way to masq the IPv4 machines
favor/use the IPv6 address of some DNS request if it provides,
otherwise use IPv4... then use the IP from the router to acutally
contact the IPv6 when it's available.

> Generally, ipv4-only hosts can only talk to ipv4 hosts.  You could do
> some gymnastics with proxying if you have specific sites you need to
> access.  You're better off enabling ipv6 on these machines.

As I noted n the original post... I have no way of enabling IPv6 on
them (at least that I'm aware of).  I don't know of any freely
available IPv6 implementation for Win2k SP4 machines.

--
George