Setup of private IPv6 addresses

	Hello everyone,

Site-local IPv6 addresses (fec0::/10) have been deprecated by the IETF.
A while ago, on this very mailing list, Jeroen pointed out that a
better approach was to use Unique Local Addresses (ULA). The Internet
draft for these has been IESG-approved.

My site has a non permanent Internet connection with a dynamically
assigned IPv6 /48 prefix. So I need some kind of private prefix both so
that I can use the local network while the Internet connection is down,
and also to put permanent addresses in the local DNS.

I've been trying to use ULAs, but it seems that the Linux kernel breaks
(and I suspect Microsoft's too) when it has both ULAs and global public
IPv6 addresses. Hosts seem to try to use their ULA addresses to reach
the external IPv6 Internet, when the router advertises both public and
private IPv6 prefixes. That makes it impossible to reach any external
IPv6 node :(

Has anyone had any success with ULAs or has another solution?

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.simphalempin.com/home/