Re: Download IPv6-Module

* Dick Visser <dick@tienhuis.nl> [2005-03-14 14:50:56]:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Theile Serversysteme KG wrote:
>
> > my problem is to find a source for the IPv6 kernel module.
> > I am trying to make my debian (kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4, woody revision 4)
> > IPv6-capable. Since the kernel has not been compile with IPv6 support, I
> > would like to load the ipv6 module while booting.
>
> This is because you are using the kernel that came with the Woody
> installation CDROM. This is very very old, and hence full of security
> holes. The easiest solution for you is to install a kernel from the apt
> repository: apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-386
> That one has the ipv6 module (along with lots of others), and it up to
> date with security patches.

Actually,

the woody kernel (kernel-image-2.4.18-1) appears to be unmaintained and
is probably loaded with security holes.

It's been almost a year since kernel-image-2.4.18-1 was updated.

If you want an up-to-date kernel for woody, I suggest you take a look at
http://www.backports.org/

/Andreas

Reference: http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2005/01/msg00045.html

--