Re: qtype ANY + dns

[What's the connection with IPv6?]

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 09:20:57PM +0530,
 Sanjib Das <Sanjib.Das@lntinfotech.com> wrote
 a message of 50 lines which said:

> I got a small doubt regarding query type.  Is the query-type ANY and
> * are same.

* is the official label (RFC 1035, 3.2.3. "QTYPE values"). ANY is a
BINDism, introduced by BIND, and used by some RFCs like 2136 (I did
not find a "legal" basis for this new name, it is just commonly used).

AFAIK, it is the same thing. tcpdump or ethereal displays it as ANY
and the value on the wire is indeed 0xFF. (ethereal is a great way to
learn about protocols, just select ANY in the decode window and you'll
see the bit value.)