Re: Ipv6 DNS and ipv4 host - Tranistion problem

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 22:20 +0200, Simon Oosthoek wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 07:33:10PM +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> > > Just out of curiosity, assuming we're 15 years in the future, I'm connecting
> > > my *networkbox* to an ISP and I do neighbourdiscovery, would I get a /48
> > > from my ISP (assuming it has some way of verifying my relation with them)?
> >
> > With current policy you should. But there is a movement of thought
> > towards /56's becoming the standard.
>
> hmm, what's the reasoning behind the change? Is it just stingyness?
> 256 subnets sounds like a lot, but if you plan to do a bit of hierarchy
> underneath that, you're in trouble with only 8 bits...

Yes, but if you have a large ISP's having say 100 million clients, that
is 100x /48. Most of them will never ever ever use that address space.
For instance at my home I also thought "I'll nicely make it route
between wired and wireless and a subnet per floor", but I didn't go on
with that plan as it is much easier to have 1 /64. Especially with
things like samba ;)

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 22:32 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Just a guess: Home networks probably won't need /48 networks.
>
> Of course, that's assuming that won't be a problem with corporate
> networks getting a /48...

No the /56 is only intended for "home endsites", not "business endsites".
At least that is the current formulation of the proposal.

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 22:20 +0200, Simon Oosthoek wrote:
> > Though it is probably easier for the ISP to just point the /48 to a
> > fixed IP address on the uplink. Which is basically what SixXS does.
>
> But that doesn't really fit into the spirit of autoconfiguration.

Autoconfiguration is handled by a client tool: AICCU. Install,
configure, run & forget.

We could enable DHCPv6 with PD of course (which would require that
everybody installs software as it doesn't come installed + enabled per
default yet), but do you really want a tool to automatically put all
your hosts onto the big evil internet? IPv6 might be not so scary
because scanning is almost impossible, but worms in IPv4 especially show
that you don't want that to happen...

Supporting DHCPv6 + PD is something which is on the list actually, just
for the fun value of it.

Greets,
 Jeroen