Re: Routing with 6to4 *and* a tunnel

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 01:47:18PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

>     >> I asked about the ping6 because I'm trying to figure out why the ipv6
>     >> router works fine and connected workstations don't.
>     >>
>     >> I'm using a tunnel broker to get an IPv6 tunnel.  They're giving me a
>     >> point-to-point tunnel with a /128 endpoint address.
>
>     Wouter> My suggestion: drop the tunnel broker, and find a decent one that gives
>     Wouter> you a /64. These aren't too hard to find (although I'm not
>     Wouter> really sure
>
>   he.net will give you a /64.
>   The advantage of using 6to4 space, is that you get to own it.
>
>   You then use the tunnel for 2001:
>   (in my case, I listen to BGP from Hurricane...)
>
>   People's data coming back to you follow 6to4 traffic, and so follow
> ipv4, and thus tend to get places fast.

So, if I understand this correctly, all of the machines on the network
will have 6to4 addresses.  Routed traffic is pushed out the tunnel via
the tunnel broker.  Returning traffic will return via the 6to4 address
and should, therefore, be quicker than waiting for the tunnel.  It
also seems to me that I don't need the /64 from HE since I won't be
receiving (or sending) traffic on that network.  They give me a
point-to-point /127 address on the tunnel.

How does listening to BGP help you?  If you have to push data through
the tunnel, doesn't HE have to perform the routing for you?

Also, I found that I wasn't able to get connected to the 6bone using
6to4 only.  The tunnel works OK.  Now, either I was configuring it
wrong or there is something else fishy going on.  The setup seems to
be so dead simple and well documented in several places, I 95% sure I
did it correctly.

Cheers.