Re: How to cleanly disable IPv6 on Debian Sarge?

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> Le Mardi 21 Décembre 2004 09:53, Martijn van de Streek a écrit :
> > Another reason is nameservers not responding to AAAA queries (not
> > even with a "this hostname does not exist" -- more like the query
> > gets dropped on the floor).
>
> I might be wrong, but I believe the glibc implementation of getaddrinfo
> will look for a AAAA record even if IPv6 is not supported by the
> running kernel. So there's little chance of fixing that.

I have working IPv6, that's the whole problem -- it tries to resolve
something but has to timeout because the nameserver seems to "drop" the
queries instead of answering them.

You could fix it by changing the timeout, or querying the A and AAAA in
parallel and using the one that comes back first or something.. but
that'd double DNS traffic uselessly.

The best solution is fixing the nameserver :)

Martijn
--
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.