Re: How to cleanly disable IPv6 on Debian Sarge?

In article <20041221080528.GC3791@via.ecp.fr> (at Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:05:28 +0100), Loïc Minier <lool+debian@via.ecp.fr> says:

> Hans Ulrich Niedermann <debian@n-dimensional.de> - Tue, Dec 21, 2004:
>
> > If you have IPv6 enabled on your system, but don't have IPv6
> > connectivity, then IPv6 enabled software (such as Firefox, dig, etc.)
> > will go look for a AAAA DNS record and try to connect to the IPv6
> > address it gets there. This will not work, but take some time.
>
>  I've seen this on a newly installed sarge with a slight difference: the
>  IPv6 packets would not leave the box, but the IPv6 would try to
>  autoconfigure itself and send packets on its subnets.

Recent kernels (say 2.6.9 or something) do not support the
"all-on-link assumption" (*) any longer.
Now, if you don't have default route the the destination,
connect() immideately fails and your application will fall back to ipv4.

The changes has not backported to 2.4.x; will do.

*: very common reason of delay

> > The only way to avoid that is to either
> >   a) get IPv6 connectivity
> >   b) prevent the "ipv6" kernel module from being loaded on boot
>
>  I think (at least in my case) deactivating autoconfiguration when none
>  is possible is enough, and this is probably possible via
>  /etc/sysctl.conf.

Yes, but you don't need to do this in usual cases.

BTW, if you have any comments on degration by introducing IPv6,
please contact at <contact@v6fix.net>.

--yoshfuji @ IPv6-Fix Project <http://v6fix.net>