Re: Looking for a little guidance on IPv6

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 11:50:56PM -0400, Jeff Schmidt wrote:
>     Here's my main question: Is there any way to get my local 6to4
> address, default route, etc, updated automatically by pump when my IPv4
> dynamic address changes? That is, currently to get the 6to4 tunnel
> configured, I am manually setting the local address based upon what my
> IPv4 address is. Is there some script or something I can setup to be run
> automatically by pump to update the 6to4, and the default route for IP6
> traffic?

Not that I know of. If this happens often, you're probably better of
with finding an IPv6 address broker. There are a number of these; but I
don't remember them, since I don't need them anymore myself.

>     Next, client autoconfig with RADVD. Ok, it appears that my
> WindowsXP desktop is getting Router Advertisements from my Linux router,
> but it doesn't appear to be setting the default route correctly based on
> that info. I know, this is a windows questions more than a Linux
> question, but I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this? To
> give a better idea what I mean: if I try to ping6 the Link Address on
> the Linux router interface that is connected to my LAN (I *think* I
> should be able to ping a link address from another host on the same LAN,
> no?):

Yes, but you need to do it right:

> ****begin output block****
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\jeff>ping6 fe80::2a0:ccff:fe77:767b

That can't work. You need to specify the link where you want to go the
ICMP echo requests to go out; on Linux, you do that with -I<interface name>;
it appears that on Windows, you need to do...

> No route to destination.
>   Specify correct scope-id or use -s to specify source address.

-s <your Local IP>

fe80 IP addresses appear on /all/ local interfaces, and they're all
within the same subnet. For that reason, the kernel (or the block of
code which resembles the operating system, in the case of Windows)
cannot reasonably autodetect what the interface is you want to send out
from -- so you need to tell it.

That said, this has nothing to do with Router Advertisement. Unless
there's a 2002 address as well on your Windows box, you can be sure it
did not accept the RA. If it does, you should be pinging an IP address
out of that range, instead of the link-local one ;-)

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks