Re: Security over IPv6 networks

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 12:15 PM, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:

Well I don't completely agree. For what I have seen around soon or later even your washing machine will have an IPv6 address. It is true that the
amount of ip to probe are higher but also the amount of hosts will
increase.

ln(2^128) / ln(10) =~ 30.53. So there are 10^30.5 IPv6 addresses. If all of the six billion people on the earth decided to get six billion cell phones each, then that'd only be about 10^19 addresses used. Very, very, sparse --- better chance of winning the jackpot at the lotto than getting a single ping back from a random address.

That's no where near enough addresses! Let's use more. Let's assume that each of the 2^11 stars in the Milky Way is much like our own. They all have one planet, with six billion sentient beings on it, each with their own six billion cell phones. That bings us to 10^30 addresses used.

Now we've finally done it. By giving an address to every sentient being in the Galaxy, and to each of their six billion cell phones each, we've managed to get a dense IPv6 address space. Assuming I got the math right, of course ;-)

I certainly did ignore that many regions of the IPv6 space a reserved or unused, and thus people wouldn't scan them. As I mentioned, I have a /64. Most of us on this list probably have at least a /64. It doesn't matter if I have ten, a hundred, or a million different devices on that network. It's still very, very sparse.