Re: Security over IPv6 networks

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 01:49:07PM -0500, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> My question, though, is this: Would it not be possible to find out all
> the local nodes by pinging ff02::1?  That'd make it a lot easier to find
> likely targets without having to make random guesses.

	Sure but that is strictly link local... It would not give back
any results except machines on that physical layer... If it's a
connection between you and your provider that means at best prolly 2
hosts will be returned... Your's and their's...

	Also you have to remember there is nothing that dictates that
IPv6 addresses have to use EUI-64 format using the MAC address... You
can still number them randomly and hap-hazardly... While it just
obfuscates the issue it does make the ability to probe much harder...

	Jeremy