Re: Security over IPv6 networks

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 06:15:52PM +0100, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> Well I don't completely agree. For what I have seen around soon or later
> even your washing machine will have an IPv6 address. It is true that the
> amount of ip to probe are higher but also the amount of hosts will
> increase. Mobile phones of the 3G series will have ipv6  soon and right
> yesterday i was reading an announce that Sony plans to have full ipv6
> support on all its product in 1 or 2 years from now and I expect all the
> others to follow.

Sure, but it's not like the next IIS worm is going to work on your 3G
cell phone. ( Oh, please, cell phone vendors, don't start embedding IIS
in your phones! )  Yes there will be a lot of IPv6 devices, but they'll
be really really diverse, both in terms of software and hardware.

My question, though, is this: Would it not be possible to find out all
the local nodes by pinging ff02::1?  That'd make it a lot easier to find
likely targets without having to make random guesses.

noah