Re: xfs / xfree86 ipv6

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 10:24:41 +0100 (CET)
Fabio Massimo Di Nitto <fabbione@fabbione.net> wrote:

> Anyway if i use the default configuration for xfs with:
>
> no-listen = tcp
>
> i get xfs listening on IPv6

Ahhh ok.  I have a vanilla kernel so it seems whenever anything binds to
IPv6 it's also binding to IPv4, so I guess I have to use this option to
disable the IPv4 binding so that the IPv6 binding will do both v4 and
v6.

The confusion arose because previously, when using IPv4 and the standard
sid xfs, I had to comment out the no-listen = tcp line so that it would
listen on TCP at all.  But now I have to put that line back in to get it
to listen to TCP on both IPv6 and IPv4.

XFS is now working on both IPv4 and IPv6 after doing that.  Thanks!

I'm still having the other (xdm) problem, but I guess
that's because of xauth not supporting IPv6.

BTW just to be clear on the other problem, to get it "working" I
downgraded xfree86-server *only* to the non-IPv6 sid version, only on
the client machine - i.e. the one that is connecting to the xdm server.
The other packages are still the IPv6 ones on both client and server.  I
guess this just means that my X server (on the client) isn't using IPv6
to connect, so it's getting X clients from the server machine on IPv4
addresses, which are supported by xauth.

Thanks for your help,

Alistair