DNS servers

HI,
I'm wondering what's the way for specifying to a host DNS server's addresses.
I mean are these addresses necessary (from DNS servers) stocked in each individual host (as it used to be for IPv4)? or is there a way to give this information to routers ?
I came to this question after reading the cisco's documentation about IPv6 commands (http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122newft/122t/122t2/ipv6/ftipv6c.htm) which specifies about giving to routers DNS server's addresses.

Thanks

Thomas