Re: network's architecture under IPv6

here we go into EUI-64, the lamest spec in history.

i would prefer an intelligently constructed IPv6 address based on what bits of the mac are available, and reusing the first 64 bits in the second part of the address space.  This would allow for /80 autoconf, a nice alternative.

but the point to my previous post was a response to a concerned admin regarding the deployment of large subnets and the like in large companies, and if you have a /64 subnet with 500 connected hosts for instance your router will be passing more packets than it needs amongst eachother.

none too congesting assuming the network was built to sustain this kind of traffic, probably an insubstantial amount (like 15/20KBps) but persistantly over metered VLAN's which are gaining popularity, would translate to $100-$400/mo in bandwidth charges.

now, it would be a bit silly to NOT split your subnets between two physical locations, but sometimes you need to make the point to those who don't consider it common sense.  i like to account for the lowest common denominator in all cases.

either way happy implementations are organized and localized as much as practically possible.  although, the subjective range of 'practical' is often justified as any given administrator's 'style or preference'.  personally, i organize to a ridiculous extreme, and each system's final quad is their cubicle #, and they're subnet'd on 112's by row, 96 by dept, and 80 by building. :)

21 Feb 2003 15:06:37 -0500, Anthony DeRobertis <asd@suespammers.org> ×ÙÛÅÕÐÏÍÑÎÕÔÙÊ: