Re: network's architecture under IPv6

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:20:09PM +0000, Daniel O'Neill wrote:
> well, ARPs still take up bandwidth, and I'm not sure the scale you're talking about.  I would recommend a tiered structure of gateways, each handling, say, 80bits worth of hosts or whichever you prefer, then route the gateways through each other.  This also makes it easier for protocols such as SMB and NMB to function correctly, if they ever function ever again.  Also, this allows you to create scopes for any incurred broadcasts you wish to send out:

  I was under the impression that IPv6 did not rely on ARP packets. That
it used Neighbourhood Discovery instead. Hence it did not rely on
anything below OSI Layer 3 for functionality, apart from the ability to
broadcast messages. Am I incorrect, or where you making ARP synonymous with
ND?

  Geoff Crompton