Re: Mass ipv6 lookups

On Sun, 2002-09-29 at 03:38, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> > Well, IPv6 deployment effectively still being experimental, isn't that
> > acceptable for sarge?
>
> Depends on how you define `effectively experimental'. A fair number
> of people are using it these days for real things.

I'm one of them, but I'd find dpkg asking me about an updated version of
nsswitch.conf quite acceptable during a woody->sarge transition, or
after doing dist-upgrade on one of my testing boxes. Especially if there
was a good changelog entry.

But I'm going to agree that the other approach, having dns, dns4, and
dns6, is better.

> It also means it is impossible to get both IPv6 and IPv4 lookups or you
> have to do two lookups instead of one lookup for any record.

With dns, dns4, and dns6, I guess that problem would be avoided. Though
I think the current query count is three: A6, AAAA, then A for forward
and either PTR or DNAME and PTR for reverse. Though I don't think glibc
does A6 or DNAME presently.