Re: Mass ipv6 lookups

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Michael Bergbauer wrote:

> On Fri Sep 27, 2002 at 05:5000PM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> >
> > that was my first feeling but it is not. the resolver perform queries only
> > when asked to do that.
>
> Sorry for asking a potentially stupid question, but how do you ask the
> resolver to query AAAA records or not to do it? I e.g. see my telnet
> program doing AAAA-Queries (watched with a sniffer) and in the sources, I
> can only see gethostbyname() calls.
>
> Is there somewhere a switch to turn on/off looking up AAAA records?
> Perhaps Ramon is just looking for something like that.

Telnet uses getaddrinfo() to resolv the host to which you connect and not
gethostbyname() that does not accept other options than "name" directly.
what i can see in the code of the libc6 resolver is that you can either
(if im not completly wrong) modify the _res.options to set the query for
gethostbyname() or use directly gethostbyname2(name,af_type).

Fabio