Re: IPv6 problem of an IPv4 user (part 2)

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

> Arthur van Leeuwen wrote:
>
>   > ::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
>   > fe00::0 ip6-localnet
>   > [..]
>
> I don't quite understand how this is mapped from 192.168.1.2 &
> co., but yes, this stuff is added to /etc/hosts during upgrade.

Ahh... it isn't.

> But it does not prevent unwanted IPv6 DNS lookups. So I still
> think something doubtful is going on.

You probably want to add either ::192.168.1.2 or ::FFFF:192.168.1.2
to your /etc/hosts for the host with IP address 192.168.1.2. The first
address is that for an IPv6 capable host that is IPv4 compatible, the second
for an IPv4-only host.

>   > `naive' is without trema in english
> My "Concise Oxford Dictionary" has two dots on the i in this word.

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary seems te prefer the spelling
without, although it does specify the double-dotted version as a variant.
I stand corrected.

Doei, Arthur.

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@sci.kun.nl      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt