Re: IPv6 problem of an IPv4 user (part 2)

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>
>  > Previously Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
>  >> A bug, a feature, or something I omitted doing when upgrading
>  >> from potato to woody?
>
>  > A feature, it tries to do telnet over ipv6 first. You can
>  > prevent the DNS lookup by sticking an ipv6 address in
>  > /etc/hosts.
>  > Wichert.
>
> Thanks! But..
>
> 1) How? What does the IPv6 version of my IPv4 local addresses look
>     like?

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

> 2) Isn't this a rather doubtful feature? And shouldn't the upgrade
>     process have taken care of this automatically? In order to
>     prevent other naïve users, like me, from causing "LAN leakage"
>     as a result of this feature?

`naive' is without trema in english, and well... it *is* documented, I seem
to recall. Even better, I seem to remember having encountered a mention of
it during one of my upgrades...

Doei, Arthur.

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@sci.kun.nl      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt