Re: Autoconfiguration with authentication

On Thursday, November 7, 2002, at 04:24 AM, P J wrote:

Just wondering is there anyway to active/apply authentication for the clients just before the router assign their address using stateless autoconfiguration method?

Stateless auto configuration is a client-side thing --- the client takes the prefix, and appends an EUI-64 to get the 128-bit address.

The only way I can think of to authenticate before that is with, e.g., 802.1x (did I get the right standard?) which does it before switching any traffic from the port.

Another alternative is to force authentication right after getting the address and before you route any traffic from/to it, sort of like nocat.