Re: USAGI IPv6 patches

In article <[🔎] 20010316052414.A556@tinuviel.compendium.net.ar> (at Fri, 16 Mar 2001 05:24:14 -0300), horape@tinuviel.compendium.net.ar says:

> Attached is a patch adapted from USAGI that let us to bind different sockets
> to the same port but different IP versions.

I hope you credited us... :-p

> The applying of this patch would let us in the "IPV6 Sockets Accept IPV4,
> Specific IPV4 Address Bindings Succeed" class with -for example- DEC Unix
> and old KAME, because we yet do IPv4 mapping.
>
> KAME people seems to want to deprecate IPv6 mapped address, and newer
> versions don't let IPv6 sockets accept IPv4 connections. That's the MS

Wrong; KAME for freebsd[34], BSD4 and netbsd support ipv4-mapped address
while itojun, a core developer of KAME Project, dislikes it.
See IMPLEMENTATION file in kame kit.

> way too (they have IPv4 and IPv6 as fully different protocols) IMHO that's
> the right approach and in a future we should be able to compile linux
> with IPv6 support but no IPv4, but i'll ask the ngtrans people what's their
> opinion and maybe send you a patch to do that.

> I hope this is the start of a more fluid feedback between mainstream linux
> and USAGI developers.

We plan to start feedback in April (after my movement to Tokyo :-).
Please, please give us (me in fact) more time...

Thanks in advance.

--
Hideaki YOSHIFUJI @ USAGI Project  <yoshfuji@linux-ipv6.org>
PGP5i FP: F731 6599 5EB2 BBA7 1515  1323 1806 A96F 5700 6B25