Re: USAGI IPv6 patches

¡Hola Alexey!

> >					in order to make
> > Linux comply with the latest IPv6 RFCs[2]?
> It does.

Partially.

For the debian IPv6 project it's very important to have a good IPv6 stack
in mainstream linux kernel (because it'd be very hard to convince the
kernel package maintainer to use something else, and that's a good thing
IMHO)

> USAGI patch contains some important things, but they are mixed
> with of huge load of poorly cosmetic things and things, which
> are difficult to accept.

There are some things on USAGI that are very important for us (most glaring
probably is what USAGI names DOUBLE_BIND) and would like to see them in the
mainstream kernel.

> Bug fixes are to be accepted. Unfortunately, it is not so easy
> to separate really important pieces (I know only one to be honest:
> reassembly of link local frames) of useless things sort of NI ICMP
> and unadvertised change of macro names.

> If USAGE people were more communicative at least about
> core changes (bsdish binding rules) and real problems,
> this would be great. Now it looks like a heap, where
> it is not so easy to find real pearls.

Could we solve it like the Apache/SGI problem? Breaking the USAGI
differences in reasonably-sized patches and offering them to you?

Would you accept -for instance- a patch for the DOUBLE_BIND feature?
It's a real nuisance programming AF independant servers with the
mainstream linux behaviour. Yes, it probably breaks some IPv6 capable,
but not AF independant programs, but they'll be broken when the next
protocol arrives anyway...

> Alexey

					HoraPe
---