Re: Debian IPv6 packages

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 06:58:16PM +0100, Javier Castillo Alcibar wrote:
> 	I see that debian unstable ipv6 packages are not very up to
> date........the USAGI project releases new patches for kernel, apps, libs
> etc...but no new debian packages......

Unfortunately there is no mandate that a Debian package must include
IPv6 support if possible.  That will make it very difficult for Debian
to ever create a fully functional IPv6 environment even if it is
possible.  Every mention of it on -devel that I've seen has met with
enough resistance that IPv6 development continues to be relegated to us
on this list.

> 	So, what can we do to improve ipv6 on Debian unstable?

I don't think that a decent, well integrated IPv6 environment will
happen by the time woody becomes stable.  Possibly after that, though,
it might be worth raising the issue on the Debian policy list.  If you
can convince some of the people there that IPv6 should be a priority for
Debian then maybe there will be an official policy statement about it.

I suppose one thing we can do is to make it easier for package
maintainers to integrate IPv6 support with their packages.  If you know
of a package that has IPv6 support available but does not use it,
contact the developer and offer to help make it work.  I believe some
people are already doing such things.  If you can make it easy for the
maintainer to turn on IPv6 in their package (e.g. by simply applying a
patch that you submit) then they're more likely to do it.

noah

--
Noah Meyerhans
MIT LCS