Re: IPv6 adoption

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Peter Cordes wrote:

> > > Hmmm...  I'd like to come up with benchmarks for SMP Linux/Alpha or even
> > > PIII on PC120 (?) for top throughput... or, has someone already done
> > > this?

> > 64bit PCI tops out at some 2.3GBit so it isn't even feasable to do on a
> > PC.

>  What about AGP?  A server needs IO bandwidth more than video bandwidth, so
> why aren't there AGP ethernet cards?  4X AGP is 4*66*64 Mbit/s = 16896 Mb/s,
> right?

Well, a single 16Gb ethernet card is not super useful, where are you going
to get the data from to feed it? Besides, I wasn't aware there were enough
pins on the AGP connector for a 64 bit data path?

If you are going to slap a large number of channels on a single card (say
8 1G channels) then you might as well use PCI and put a high speed
configurable switch on the card too, it will still be faster than an AGP
solution.

If you need serious bandwidth you can spend the huge dollars on a dual
slot 64 bit PCI-X system (one for disk, one for network) which tops out
around 16gbit per slot.

Jason