Re: General support for IPv6 out of the box in Debian

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 03:21:26PM +0200, Pontus Lidman wrote:
> On the project side, we have:
> 1) reluctance from upstream authors to introduce IPv6
> 2) maintainers are not always knowledgeable of IPv6
> 3) not enough people working on the debian-ipv6 project
>
> Improving the debian-ipv6 project page could adress 2) and 3).
Yep, it needs some work.  Let me know what else you think should go in.
I'm always open to suggestions.

> It might also be a good idea to get in touch with maintainers of debian
> packages that have an IPv6-specific counterpart and offer help.
>
> Is this a correct description of the current situation? Have I missed some
> issues?
One of the biggies that we still have not fixed yet is co-ordination of
packages and their locations. Let me use an example:

I maintain about 10 (non-IPv6) packages. I'd like to have an IPv6 lynx.
Now, on which of the 5 or more ftp/www sites is lynx? Has anyone done
it? Is anyone working on it?

I then figure or assume that the answers are all no, so I build my own
IPv6 lynx. Err, now where do I upload it so everyone else can use it?
Who do I tell? Do I stick it in www.d.o/~csmall and and a 6th ftp/www
site.

That sort of distributed co-ordination is what, in general, Debian does
reasonably well.  We need it in the IPv6 project too.  I'm only using
lynx here as an example.

  - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>