Re: General support for IPv6 out of the box in Debian

Hi,

In article <[🔎] E12fIHE-0006lG-00@fountain.labs.futuretv.com> (at Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:13:31 +0100), Philip Blundell <pb@labs.futuretv.com> says:

> Reasonably advanced.  Actually, the main stumbling block in deploying IPv6
> "for real" is likely to be that glibc 2.1 doesn't support all of the new
>APIs needed for IPv6 -- there is no getipnodebyname(), for example, and
> sin6_scope_id is missing.  Most of these deficiencies have been fixed in
>glibc 2.2 though obviously more volunteers are always welcome to help.

I've already submitted some patches for glibc to support sin6_scope_id
including some getaddrinfo() / getnameinfo() extension (*); and, in fact,
sin6_scope_id is already included in the cvs version.

(*) draft-ietf-ipngwg-scopedaddr-format-01.txt

Unfortunately, linux-2.4 kernel may break userlands if we don't compile
them with sin6_scope_id; and binary which were not compiled with
sin6_scope_id won't work on linux-2.4 systems.
On the other hand, binary with sin6_scope_id will run on old kernels
(but of course, it cannot handle scope correctly).

So, linux-2.4.0 being released, we should update glibc and rebuild
some packages as soon as possible...

Note: The getipnodeby{name,addr}() functions are (or will be) deprecated;
      we should use getaddrinfo() and getnameinfo().

--
Hideaki YOSHIFUJI <yoshfuji@ecei.tohoku.ac.jp>
Web Page: http://www.ecei.tohoku.ac.jp/%7Eyoshfuji/