Re: Debian Interix chroot?

Hi Sin,

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010, Sinbios Li wrote:

Hi, I've been trying out your Debian Interix port but I would like to preserve the Interix environment at the same time. I saw some mentions of a chroot bootstrap mode in the setup scripts and was wondering if you wouldn't mind walking me through the procedure to set up a chrooted Debian environment.

first of all sorry for the late reply. I was busy with other things the last days.

Thanks for your interest in debian-interix. I'll send a copy of this mail to the mailing list for archiving.

To your question: A complete chroot install (without modifying anything outside the chroot) is not supported. I created the chroot options for creating another debian-interix installation on top of an existing one for automated package building.

Such a build chroot only works on Vista and above, because the chroot() syscall is unfortunately broken on older versions,
see http://debian-interix.net/bugs/kernel/#chroot for details.

Another limitation even on Vista and above exists: there is no /proc file system within a chroot which makes some programs fail. And you can't connect to network shares from within the chroot either, because /dev/fs and /net work only in the main system.

I have scripts to set up such a build chroot, but these scripts require several files/programs of debian-interix in the main system to run correctly (debootstrap, apt-get, etc.).

If you don't want to modify anything outside the chroot, you might look at the gentoo prefix. If you just need a backup to return to after testing, you can copy all files of C:\WINDOWS\SUA to a backup dir, and then test install debian-interix. If you need to revert, you can rename the copy. debian-interix doesn't install anything outside of C:\WINDOWS\SUA.

If you want to do a normal debian-interix install and have difficulties with it or if you have a running debian-interix install and want to set up a chroot within it, I'll help you with it.

Hope this helps

Martin