Re: Segfaults on install (SUA version < 6.x) (FIX)

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Paul Holcomb wrote:

I just did a fresh install of SUA and debian interix on Win2k3 Server
64-bit and ran into problems on the configure step with several
packages, and then looked up the notes from my first install and
remembered the problem.

In my case, I was getting cores from perl with some of the dpkg-*
tools.

* The FIX:

  Before running "ksh setup", either:

   - install the hotfixes for this issue [Preferred]

     +For SUA 5.x, I believe its 948918
     [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948918/en-us]

     +For SUA 3.x, I believe its in the 913030 rollup [UNTESTED]
     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913030/en-us

   - edit boot.ini and change /noexecute to
    /NoExecute=OptIn or /NoExecute=alwaysoff
     [http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms791539.aspx]

     Note: NX bit protection (MS calls it DEP) is a good thing,
     so don't use this one unless the first one won't work.
     [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_bit]

Can we add this to the INSTALL doc?

I have added the necessary hotfixes for 2k3, thanks.

* unrelated bug fix: base-files

 base files needs to either check for the existence of
 /usr/local/man, or use ln -sf to create the file.

"ln -sf" has already been used, but apparently the native interix ln can't handle existing dirs with -f. I now simply added "|| true".

Martin