Re: Preferred IBus IM for Traditional Chinese

On 2023-02-17 04:49, Kan-Ru Chen wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2023, at 9:52 PM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
Hi all, especially the Chinese speaking members!

Is ibus-chewing still the best IBus IM for Traditional Chinese?

$ apt depends task-chinese-t-gnome-desktop task-chinese-t-gnome-desktop
    Depends: tasksel (= 3.71)
    Recommends: ibus-chewing
    Recommends: gnome-initial-setup

I ask because a user at Ask Ubuntu claimed that "the character
selection is horrible", and I also see that upstream is not so
active.

It is still the best IM for me, but I'm one of the maintainer for the
libchewing project so I'm likely biased :-)

Recently upstream has become more active again. After the libchewing
0.6 release I plan to migrate chewing settings used by ibus to newer
gtk version.

Thanks for your input, Kan-Ru Chen.

Anything else do you want to see added to the project?

I'm assuming that that question is directed to users who — unlike me — actually use ibus-chewing. ;)

I was just passing a random remark at Ask Ubuntu. And as a follow-up of that I can mention that I made the user try ibus-libzhuyin, and he responded with "libzhuyin is way better than chewing or zhuyin in word selection". I'm not able to tell if that is true, but leave it to others to determine if it's worth paying attention to.

--
Rgds,
Gunnar