Re: im-config | Use im-config on Wayland without uninstalling IBus (!5)

On 2020-05-25 07:12, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
Yes, it will be set as "none" and everything will be fine without
explicitly setting "ibus". And yes, even though it works well
without settings anything, some curious users may touch that UI and
break their OSK.

Not only out of curiosity, but in the belief that it's the correct choice when using some IBus engine. You wave away that consequence. I don't.
I think the UI needs an update to be more clear. But please don't
insist to change underlying software for a frontend UI.

Eh.. Yes. The frontend UI is the starting point on a desktop. The underlying code should be written to support the desired look and behavior of the UI. Not the other way around.

A few months ago a mutter bug was introduced which affects the
use of ibus-hangul on GNOME on Wayland adversely. One way for
ibus-hangul users to work around that bug is to set
GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus. My understanding is that this bug is the
reason why Changwoo started to question the current logic. He
wants to be able to deal with that mutter bug via the im-config
user interface.

I didn't say that. But this important issue is one example of why
some users don't want the GNOME default.

The only example AFAIU. And the mutter bug is well identified. Why
don't you make an effort to have that bug fixed instead? You
shouldn't establish an unintuitive UI in order to work around a
bug!

That's a wrong argument. You inserted a workaround into im-config
first.

No, I didn't insert any workaround. Fact is that im-config currently is disabled as regard IBus and GNOME on Wayland.

When changing it so im-config can be used on Wayland even if IBus is installed, I had to deal with the GNOME on Wayland situation somehow, and found that editing data/21_ibus.rc was the natural and less intrusive way to do that. That's what we did for Ubuntu 17.10, btw, and nobody objected.

You also deal with the GNOME on Wayland situation in your proposal, but in another way, and for some reason you don't call that a "workaround". ;)

Just give users the freedom to choose one buggy choice to another
buggy one, if they think OK. Gunnar's change removed that choice
which im-config has given to users.

Again: There was no choice before when using IBus with GNOME on Wayland, so no, I didn't remove any choice.

I noticed your long section about Wayland issues. Even if I'm not in a position to evaluate the importance of them, it sounds dissatisfying. Probably Wayland was adopted by some distros prematurely. I'm glad that Ubuntu decided to revert to X for now after the 17.10 Wayland adventure.

The natural GNOME on Wayland workaround in the Linux world would be to manually put

export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus

in some suitable config file.

But you want to be able to use the im-config UI for working around Wayland issues, and that way to handle the bugs would be at the expense of a UI which is hard to grasp and easy to misunderstand. It would be designed for advanced users, who are well aware of the Wayland problems and the implications of "ibus" respective "none", but those are likely capable of setting GTK_IM_MODULE themselves.

So, Changwoo, I feel that I have nothing more to say without repeating myself, and I suspect that you feel the same. I think both of us have made some valid points to support respective position about MR !6, and it would be good if one or two less biased persons could take a stand.

--
Rgds,

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj