Re: im-config | Use im-config on Wayland without uninstalling IBus (!5)

On 2020-05-25 07:54, Osamu Aoki wrote:
On Sun, 2020-05-24 at 22:51 +0200, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
Hmm.. I'd better mention that I dropped that and replaced it with
a (very similar) hook in /etc/profile.d. The reason is that such a
systemd generator is run very early at session startup when most
environment variables (e.g. XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP and
XDG_SESSION_TYPE) have not yet been set.

YOSHINO-san,

Can you take a look at proposed changes.  I didn't have time to test
it for uim since I don't use it.  What Gunnar stated sounds like
major change on the way environment variables are introduced.  I am
afraid the impact of /etc/profile.d approach to uim.

I'd like to add that Ubuntu 17.10 was shipped with Wayland by default, and to make im-config work we used a hook in /etc/profile.d. So we have already tested it in a real-life situation. I can't recall any reports about uim or other non-IBus frameworks not being configured and launched. (There were indeed issues with e.g. Fcitx, but nothing im-config related.)

With that said, it would of course be good to have uim tested now.

--
Rgds,

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj