Re: im-config and Wayland

Hello,

2020년 5월 20일 (수) 오전 1:28, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunnarhj@ubuntu.com>님이 작성:

> Good news. I have made a change to the MR, and if I'm not missing
> anything - cross your fingers - im-config now works without any hassle
> both on X and Wayland. No need to uninstall IBus to use a non-IBus
> framework (unless you want to for efficiency reasons, of course). The
> final piece of the puzzle was a tiny change to im-launch.desktop which I
> overlooked yesterday.
>
> So if nobody objects, I will drop the caveats about GNOME and Wayland
> from README.Debian and merge in a few days.

You merged it with the ibus Wayland workaround I object. That
workaround is inconsistent with the current documentation
(im-config(8)).

You made the "IBus" startup script to do nothing in GNOME/Wayland and
to use GNOME default, which doesn't use IBus GTK immodules. I
understand that using ibus GTK immodules has issues in GNOME Wayland.
But other users in other environments have other issues when the ibus
GTK immodules are not used.

You seem to think that "IBus" is some kind of reasonable default but
it isn't. When a user choose "something" in im-config, it means she/he
wants to use it even though choosing it might be buggy in some cases.
Other choices also have issues on different locales and different DEs
but im-config should respect user's choice.

My proposal is just change the default in GNOME Wayland, if "IBus"
cannot be the reasonable default in that environment. I think
automatically setting "none" in GNOME Wayland would work.

--
Changwoo Ryu