Re: im-config and Wayland

On 2020-05-18 23:31, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
Hi all!

On 2020-03-25 03:39, Osamu Aoki wrote:
3. Drop wayland/systemd support from im-config and make it for pure
   X system such as fvwm if someone wants.  I am not interested to
   maintain after this point.  At this stage, im-config shoud not
   be installed by default.

I have thought about that, and tend to disagree. Even if the GNOME devs
ignore non-IBus IM frameworks, that's not enough of a reason to bury the
idea with providing a tool to help IM users, who want options, with the
configuration.

Currently, if you use GNOME on Wayland, you need to uninstall (or
fake-uninstall) IBus to be able to use im-config for non-IBus
frameworks. That's a rather cumbersome prerequisite.

I have submitted a merge request which I think improves it a bit:

https://salsa.debian.org/input-method-team/im-config/-/merge_requests/5

With the proposed change in place, you can use im-config to set the
variables also on GNOME on Wayland. The daemon isn't launched, though;
you need to do that manually.

Good news. I have made a change to the MR, and if I'm not missing anything - cross your fingers - im-config now works without any hassle both on X and Wayland. No need to uninstall IBus to use a non-IBus framework (unless you want to for efficiency reasons, of course). The final piece of the puzzle was a tiny change to im-launch.desktop which I overlooked yesterday.

So if nobody objects, I will drop the caveats about GNOME and Wayland from README.Debian and merge in a few days.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj