Re: When will next release of im-config happen?

Hi Osamu,

On 2020-03-25 03:39, Osamu Aoki wrote:
Thanks fir the reminder.

Uploading to ftp-master (via ftp to ftp.upload.debian.org):
   Uploading im-config_0.44-1.dsc: done.
   Uploading im-config_0.44.orig.tar.xz: done.
   Uploading im-config_0.44-1.debian.tar.xz: done.
   Uploading im-config_0.44-1_all.deb: done.
   Uploading im-config_0.44-1_amd64.buildinfo: done.
   Uploading im-config_0.44-1_amd64.changes: done.

Thanks for the upload!

I am behind many things FLOSS projects.  As for input method related
projects, I am loosing motivation and resources.  I am happy to hand
over maintainership to any reasonable competent person such as Gunnar
and Boyuan.  (Please note this is my hobby volunteer activity.)

I help out with various i18n related matters in Ubuntu, which explains my involvement in the IM related projects here once in a while. But I'm not an IM user, and I suppose that the im-config maintainer ought to be someone who is.

As for the new approach, i.e. setting all the environment variables
irrespective of the presence of applicable modules is an very ugly
workaround under the time and resource constrain to support IM under
wayland/systemd.

Okay..

The default session in Ubuntu (including the coming 20.04 release) is GNOME on Xorg, so my primary focus is the functionality on Xorg. And we keep installing im-config by default.

Possibly, when merging your latest upload and since the next Ubuntu release is rapidly approaching, I should reverse that commit for now to not risk a regression. Or do you consider it safe?

1. Send a patch to gnome-session's gnome-session/main.c to make its
    hardcoded IM (lines on 297 and lines after 394) as configurable
    via some configuration file or some configuration database.
    At least, ibus and fcitx needs to be supported as cleanly
    configurable options.  (Overriding another hardcoded option is
    no-no.)

I think that was fixed a few years ago:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-session/-/commit/7060744a

So GNOME sets those variables only if 1. IBus is installed and 2. they weren't set already, e.g. via im-config. But while the variables are set properly if e.g. fcitx is the selected framework, my impression is that GNOME's support of other frameworks but ibus is poor.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj