Re: [crosspost] dropping support for ia64

I believe they are Madison 6mb. I know they are not mad9's. The zx6000 I have is a rx2600 in the workstation plastic. If you pop the panels off and remove the foot it is rack mountable. So your theory is absolutely correct.

 I also worked with someone back in the day on IRC and we determined that the expansion cage in a rx2620 was cross compatible with the rx2600.

On Sat, May 20, 2023, 11:29 Frank Scheiner <frank.scheiner@web.de> wrote:
Hi Jushua,

On 20.05.23 20:11, Joshua Scoggins wrote:
> I used to daily drive my own zx6000 (and had a zx2000 and rx5670 as
> well) back in 2008-2012. I was running Gentoo Linux on it and it was for
> the most part fine. I got Firefox 9 working and even Minecraft! What
> I've observed is that GCC's support for ia64 seems to have bit rotted
> over time (I've encountered internal compiler errors over the years on
> seemingly standard C++ code).
>
> While I still have the zx6000, I haven't booted in at least 5 years. I
> don't fully trust contemporary versions of GCC to not generate
> potentially garbage code (unless things have changed).

It could interesting to see, how it behaves with Debian Sid and Linux
6.3.x (see [1]). I figure the zx6000 is a rx2600 in disguise, I have a
rx2620 working and believe to have seen others with a rx2600 reporting
success some time ago on this list. What Itaniums do you have in there,
Madisons or original McKinleys?

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-ia64/2023/05/msg00010.html

Cheers,
Frank