Re: Debian Sid installation successful on rx6600

On 11/9/20 8:51 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> Just tested this one and this time the installation fails after "tasksel":
> (...)
> Maybe I should try at a later date.

Yes, after tasksel is the network installation, so you're currently running
straight into the mess that's called Perl transition:

> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2020/11/msg00001.html

That's something inevitable for Debian Ports until we get a testing release.

> BTW, maybe it's just a feeling, but from my memory these version number
> "mismatches" seem to happen very often for ia64, but are not so common
> for other ports architectures. Is there something different in the
> package build process on ia64 compared to other architectures that leads
> to (more) broken dependencies?

Yes, currently quite a number of packages are falling behind for ia64,
especially since Ruby upstream dropped ia64 support and so far there hasn't
been anyone willing to step up and help me forward-porting ia64 support
for Ruby 2.7.

I have started the work and I can share it with anyone.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz