Re: ia64 port needs help in order to be saved

Hi,

On 04.08.20 13:20, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 8/4/20 12:40 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
The machine is running Squeeze now. I will install unstable using debootstrap
on the second disk later today and then the buildd is finally up and running
again.

Great work and great news! So do you also have enabled CONFIG_ZONE_DMA32
for the used kernel in addition or just the Gentoo ptrace patch?

There is actually no CONFIG_ZONE_DMA32 for ia64, just CONFIG_ZONE_DMA and
that is set.

[3] says it's CONFIG_ZONE_DMA for ia64 until Linux 4.15 and
CONFIG_ZONE_DMA32 for later kernel versions. I couldn't find a control
from `menuconfig` where I could disable that, not sure why, maybe it's
implicit.

[3]: https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/ZONE_DMA.html

I also saw that CONFIG_ZONE_DMA32 actually is enabled in Linux 4.19.37
from Debian and also the current 5.7.x from Debian for ia64. So in this
configuration option Gentoo and Debian kernels seem not to differ. I
couldn't find a 4.14.x ia64 kernel image.

The kernel has this configuration from Sergei [1] and the ptrace patch from
the Gentoo kernel, otherwise it's a vanilla upstream kernel 4.14.83.

I cannot say yet which particular change fixes the problem, but I'm confident
I will be able to figure that out. If you want to test yourself, you may
try 4.14.83 from the stable branch [2] with Sergei's configuration but without
the ptrace patch.

Yeah, I'll give that a try.

I will get the machine up and running first, so that we can resume building
packages. Anatoly said the blade is a dual blade, so I might be able to
perform the kernel tests on the second blade.

Oh, that would be cool if a dual blade could also be used as two
separate machines.

My wild guess is that's the ptrace patch that fixes the problem.

Yeah, I think so, too, but will check that now, to be sure.

Cheers,
Frank

Adrian

[1] https://dev.gentoo.org/~slyfox/config-4.19.86-gentoo
[2] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git