Re: IA-64 GCC deprecation?

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 12:00 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> I wonder what's left for RISC-V to do. Most of the stuff seems to work, the
> only thing that no one has taken care of are OpenJDK and LLVM.

The more users we have the more stuff there is to do.  There are
always people wanting questions answered, or bugs fixed, or new speed
optimizations, or new size optimizations, or new features added.  Etc.
There is a great deal of stuff that x86/arm have that RISC-V doesn't
have yet.  It will take many man years to implement all of this stuff.

There is still some basic stuff missing from the GNU toolchain.
gdbserver.  32-bit glibc.  sub-word atomics in gcc (which are
available in a library that most people don't link in).  Gdb still has
hundreds of testsuite failures and needs a lot more work.  Gdb is also
missing features like hardware breakpoints that limits its usability.
There is a new V (vector) extension that people are starting to
implement, and auto-vectorizing compiler support is man years of work.
Just ask ARM/Linaro.  There is also the new B (bit manipulation)
extension that is getting more and more real.  LLVM stuff needs more
work, and that is holding back Rust and all of the packages that
require Rust.  Though I think there are more people working on the
LLVM tools than the GNU tools at the moment, so hopefully this stuff
gets in usable shape in a few more months.  But in turn is creating
more GNU toolchain work because they are finding implementation
differences and edge cases, things that we will need to work through
and update/clarify ABI documents and toolchain implementations.

Jim