hp zx2000 fun.

Hi.
Long ago, when 2.6.9 was cutting edge I've compiled a kernel for my
server, and used it with sarge. Time has come to upgrade to etch, or
testing, "Lenny".
I found out that my kernel has no vfat support, so I cannot upgrade
neither firmware nor the kernel. I've tried to compile vfat support as
module, but it requires some kernel option I haven't enabled.
I need to:
1. upgrade firmware
2. upgrade the kernel

Installation via the CD didn't work, and lead me to firmware bug.

Is there a way to upgrade the firmware via the EFI shell with the efi
binary file on a CD/DVD ?
how do I do it ?

Thanks in advance!

Max.