java for the ia64 (Sun Java): only 1.4.x ???

I have a the ia64 bit version of Debian running and I am looking for Java.

I was able to locate and install Java 1.4.2_10, but I read on the Sun site that Java 1.4.x is at end of life.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/index.jsp

Does anyone know if the new NetBeans stuff will run on a ia64 ? If so, what version should I look for ?

Here is an old 2006 post about someone asking about Java 5 for a Windows ia64 bit.
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=766546&messageID=4371805

I don't know if the Java ia64 bit ports are similar for both Windows and Linux, but this post scared me.

-Ted
IBM x455 Itanium2 running Debian Sarge mckinley-smp kernel with Debian Etch packages.