Re: Kernel panic after kernel update.

Покотиленко Костик wrote:
I have seem this problem on non-ia64 system.

First, check which root partition the kernel is said to use (root=
kernel option).

Then watch the boot process and check how your boot HDD is being
recognized. The most common case is when you try to boot from
root=/dev/hda1, but your HDD is being recognized as, say, /dev/hde1.
I am watching the boot process up to the kernel panic closely but I dont see any HDD line, is it possible that my HDD is not detected soon enough? I has been working for about 2 years now, one year on this debian system.

Which elilo.conf file should I be examining? There is one in the boot partition (efi/debian/elilo.conf this is an msdos/vfat partition) and the other is in root partition (/etc/elilo.conf). They are both pretty much the same. Which one is read at boot time? Which one should I modify?

The root in both the above mentioned files was set to /dev/sda2 right now, and the time stamp on all the files in efi:efi/debian/* (including elilo.conf file) is on the same day (last friday) that I updated the kernel. The /etc/elilo.conf file has time stamp from 11 months back, is it possible that I haven't updated my kernel in a year? since booting used to work before friday!

The root partition when I boot through the debian sarge net install cd (2.6.8-2-itanium-smp) is located at /dev/discs/disc0/part2 ... but both the elilo.conf files have root=/dev/sda2 . I tried changing the root= statement to roo=/dev/discs/disc0/part2 ... but I still get the same error.

Can anyone tell me how should I proceed?

On my system I have two IDE controllers and sometimes their recognition
order is being changed.

I have PATA HDD attached to ICH7 controller and DVD-RW to ITE8211. So,
in normal case I have /dev/hde for my HDD and /dev/hda for DVD-RW. But
sometimes ICH7 driver is being loaded before ITE8211, and I get them
switched: /dev/hda for HDD and /dev/hde for DVD-RW, and I get the same
error as you.