Re: 32-bits applications

On Thu February 2 2006 09:58, Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 10:13 -0700, Alex Williamson wrote:
> >    Your best bet is probably an ia32 chroot, that way you have all the
> > apps and library issues will take care of themselves.  Trying to satisfy
> > all the library requirements for big apps like this will just make a
> > mess of your filesystem.  Also note that ia32 binary support is a
> > compatibility feature, not a performance feature of ia64.
>
> Yeah.  In other words, "It's dog slow."
A couple of years ago I ran OpenOffice.org on my ZX2000 I found the
performance quite acceptable. Of course, OO.org is mostly io bound
and I wasn't running any significant background work. I installed the
libraries mentioned in an earlier post by Khalid and did not use chroot
At the user level, there was no perceptable difference in running OO.org
and native apps. (I was running KDE on debian)

Richard Harke