Re: 32-bits applications

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 10:53 +0100, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it "easy" to run 32-bits applications on the ia64 port?
>
> A customer has an HP rx2600 and he wants an thin-client server. I need
> applications like OOo, flash, acroread, java, etc.
>
> Or is it maybe better for me to use the ia32-port with an ia64 kernel?
> ( Or ask the customer to buy another machine with Xeon or AMD64
> processors? )

   Your best bet is probably an ia32 chroot, that way you have all the
apps and library issues will take care of themselves.  Trying to satisfy
all the library requirements for big apps like this will just make a
mess of your filesystem.  Also note that ia32 binary support is a
compatibility feature, not a performance feature of ia64.

	Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Linux & Open Source Lab