Dead-in-the-water

I have a HP ZX2000. Normally I lhave been leaving it running but
I shut down a few days ago.When I booted it, I was able to login
but when I did a startxit apparently reset. Then it went into the boot
sequence again. After that I had a lot of trouble with re-booting.

I opened the case and did a good job of cleaning out dust. Now its slightly
more stable but it still wouldn't boot because it wouldn't get past the
file system check. Message was to enter root passwd for maintenance
but keyboard wasn't working. Went to recovery system on HP CD
Couldn't find a valid file system. Decided to do a complete re-install.

I was able to boot debian net install but it won't install because it can't
find the CDROM. Suggests I do net install instead. But this is the net install
(ETCH beta)

Also tried the "newer" image for etch. Get a message that there is no kernel
on the CD

Could these last issues still be hardware and if so what is the prime
suspect?
Or did th debian site have a problem?

Richard Harke