Re: Has anyone ever got Debian to install on an SGI Altix?

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 12:52:07PM +0100, Tim Cutts wrote:
| Well, it, together with Christoph's recipe for building the kernel,
| is getting me steadily further.  My only change to the configuration
| has been to enable cramfs support, since cramfs is what the Debian
| installer uses.
|
| It's detecting all the hardware correctly, as far as I can tell, but
| I'm getting modprobe errors on boot, which I think is because the
| initrd image just isn't working correctly.
|
| Initially, I thought this was to do with the following error which I
| get as soon as the kernel tries to boot:
|
| Uncompressing Linux... alloc.c(line 132):allocator: AllocatePages(2,
| 2, 3447, 0x4000000) failed (Not Found)
|
| gzip.c(line 436):gzip_ia64 : AllocatePages(3447, 0x4000000) for
| kernel failed
|
| gzip.c(line 461):low_addr=0x4000000 new_addr=0x3010000000
| offset=0x3010000000
| done

This is just elilo spewing out some messages regarding relocating the
kernel.  I seem to recall either Jesse or I sent the elilo maintainer
a patch to quiet these down since they are normal on Altix, and I
think it's upstream already.

| But I've tried netbooting with uncompressed kernel and initrd, and I
| still end up with error messages which are coming from the kernel
| trying to run /sbin/modprobe, and failing.
|
| Did I mess up creating my initrd?  I loopback mounted the initrd from
| the debian-installer, and copied its contents somewhere else.  I
| installed the new kernel's modules into the appropriate place, and
| then used mkcramfs -b 16384 to create a new initrd from this
| directory.  Have I missed some crucial step that I should have made?

I'm not very familiar with how the debian installer works, but I can try
to play around with this today and see if I can get something that works.

Greg