Re: Has anyone ever got Debian to install on an SGI Altix?

On 26 Aug 2005, at 5:59 pm, Greg Edwards wrote:

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 04:55:28PM +0100, Tim Cutts wrote:
| I've been looking into trying to install Debian on an SGI Altix (in
| this case, a really baby Altix - one of the new Altix 330 machines).

Tim, give this patch a whirl.  It booted ok for me on one of our lab
A330s.  Your mileage may vary.

Well, it, together with Christoph's recipe for building the kernel, is getting me steadily further. My only change to the configuration has been to enable cramfs support, since cramfs is what the Debian installer uses.

It's detecting all the hardware correctly, as far as I can tell, but I'm getting modprobe errors on boot, which I think is because the initrd image just isn't working correctly.

Initially, I thought this was to do with the following error which I get as soon as the kernel tries to boot:

Uncompressing Linux... alloc.c(line 132):allocator: AllocatePages(2, 2, 3447, 0x4000000) failed (Not Found)

gzip.c(line 436):gzip_ia64 : AllocatePages(3447, 0x4000000) for kernel failed

gzip.c(line 461):low_addr=0x4000000 new_addr=0x3010000000 offset=0x3010000000
done

But I've tried netbooting with uncompressed kernel and initrd, and I still end up with error messages which are coming from the kernel trying to run /sbin/modprobe, and failing.

Did I mess up creating my initrd? I loopback mounted the initrd from the debian-installer, and copied its contents somewhere else. I installed the new kernel's modules into the appropriate place, and then used mkcramfs -b 16384 to create a new initrd from this directory. Have I missed some crucial step that I should have made?

Tim