Re: Has anyone ever got Debian to install on an SGI Altix?

Greg Edwards wrote:
> console output is stopping when busybox init is run.  I added a set -x to
> sbin/init and saw:
>
> + uname -r
> + grep ^2.2.
> + [  =  ]
> + mount /proc
> + umount initrd
> + true
> + mount -t tmpfs -o size=100M tmpfs /mnt
> + :
> + umount /proc
> + ls -1 /
> + grep -v \(dev\|lost+found\|mnt\|proc\)
> + cp -a bin etc floppy init initrd lib preseed.cfg sbin sys tmp usr var
> /mnt
> + cd /mnt
> + pivot_root . initrd
> + mkdir proc dev
> + [ -x /sbin/udevstart ]
> + /lib/debian-installer/init-udev-devices
> + mount /proc
> + exec /usr/sbin/chroot . /bin/busybox init
> [... no more ...]

This does not appear to be a current d-i daily build, since it's missing
at least one command that is run in the code block in current versions
of d-i. Just FWIW.

FWIW, the closest match to this problem that I've debugged was an arm
box where devfs didn't know about the serial device being used and
didn't create a device node for it, which does cause busybox init to
fall over like you describe.

If I were you I've use a current daily build, boot it with BOOT_DEBUG=5,
and at the shell it will give you right before the last line above,
investigate the inttab and /mnt/dev.

--
see shy jo